Tour the Town of Huntington Archives
Join Town of Huntington Archivist Antonia S. Mattheou for a tour of the Town Archives.
The Town of Huntington Archives was created in 1993 under the direction of Town Clerk and Records Management Officer, Jo-Ann Raia. The repository houses 2,886.25 linear feet of permanent records documenting the Town’s establishment and growth. The manuscript collection consists of 201 volumes, 200 maps/drawings and 55 linear feet of material dating back to 1653, the founding date of the Town.
The collection includes Indian deeds and patents, chattel mortgages, thatch and underwater leases, documents pertaining to the Revolutionary Era and the Civil War, court records dealing with all aspects of life, abolition of slavery, and town trustee records, among others.
To celebrate our nation’s Semiquincentennial, the Archives exhibit this year is entitled, “George Washington’s visit to Long Island in 1790 and the Culper Spy Ring”. On display are documents and objects dating back to the American Revolution such as the 1774 Declaration of Rights of the Town of Huntington, lists of Huntington people who took the oath of allegiance to the British King, and the statue of Nathan Hale.
For the months of September and October, the Archives is hosting an exhibit from the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office. This exhibit can be seen on the second floor of Town Hall.
Please not tours will be 1 – 1/2 hours.