Luther Brush House:
In the mid-19th century, Luther Brush, a 7th generation Brush in Huntington, was given 60 acres of his father’s farm in Greelawn as a wedding gift. He and his new wife, Celia Scott, built a 2nd period Empire style farmhouse with a mansard roof on the property. The smaller 2 story wing on the left may have been the original farmhouse, with the 3 story addition added soon after the initial construction. In 1878, Luther and Celia gave up farming and sold house and property to Devine Munger from Brooklyn, who used the house as a country residence. In 1884, Munger built a house for his help, on the opposite side of Greenlawn Road that was a small replica of the farmhouse. It is said that he “wanted to sit on his porch and look at his house.” Although the smaller house, pictured below, has been enlarged, it still stands across the street and still looks like the original farmhouse.
In 1890, the property suffered a loss by fire that destroyed two large barns, a carriage house and an ice house. Luckily the main house survived. Shortly after the fire, the Munger family relocated to Glen Cove and Devine became the superintendent of the Pratt estate.
In the late 20th century, former owners Richard and Lorraine Miano restored the exterior and interior of the house. The current owners, bought the house in 1995 and added a great room. a back staircase and a basement room. The moldings and window surrounds of the addition are in the historic style of the original mid-19th house.