“The Oaks” Shaw/Cartledge House:
In the late 1880s, George Shaw, a New York City dry goods merchant, purchased the Frederick G. Sammis farm and built a summer country house pictured to the right. Shaw was part of a group of investors who envisioned the development of Huntington Bay into a resort area for the wealthy, which would have included hotels, golf courses and large summer homes. He built his own summer house, which he called the ‘Oaks,” on 52 acres overlooking Huntington Bay. In the early 1890s, the Cartledge family, who lived in Brooklyn, would summer in the Huntington Bay Lodge, a hotel run by Nelson May on the property that is today the Bay Club. In 1902, John Cartledge bought the Oaks from the estate of George Shaw and added another 20 adjoining acres.
The Cartledge family, whose money came from the development of a better form of linoleum, greatly enlarged the house, as can be seen in the 1909 picture on the opposite page. Mr. & Mrs. John Cartledge are pictured at right in 1902.
In the lead up to WWI, the family offered their beach front to the First Yale Unit who completed their basic training here to become regular and reserve Navy Pilots in WWI.
John Cartledge died in 1910 and the property transferred to his children. It is interesting to note that on May 30, 1925, the realtor Charles E. Sammis offered at auction 429 waterfront lots on Huntington Bay. Known as Huntington Bay Hills, the prospectus for the sale of building lots is shown on page two of this booklet.
Edith Cartledge, a daughter, continued to live in the house until the 1950s.